Becoming a "doula" is harder than I thought...

“The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period. Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.” www.dona.org

During my doula training in April, my wonderful trainer told us that as a doula, when you walk into the room, you must carry yourself in a way that everyone relaxes when they see you. For those who know me well, you know that my personality usually isn’t a calming and relaxing one. I definitely believe God is waiting until this characteristic is perfected in me before sending me off to a doula client. I am a work in progress. For those of you that know my mother, you know that she embodies this whole idea in my world. When my mama walks into the room or through the front door, I just know everything is going to be okay. She just brings with her the confidence and nurturing personality that everyone wants to be around. There are many other people in my life that make me feel the same way, just genuinely cared for and unconditionally loved. Some of these are amazing Christian women and some are just amazing women that I am blessed to have in my life. As I age, I’m learning what open-minded really means and how much of a benefit this quality is to my life and my family’s life. Referring to decisions made before, during and after childbirth, my doula trainer asked us, “Shouldn’t a person have the right to make their own decision, even if it’s the “wrong” one?” This is something that I repeat to myself at least usually once a day. Everyone is at a different place in life and what your “right” is, may be their “wrong.” I have this desire in me to help everyone with every little problem they may have. I know that there are some who appreciate that help and there are others who just wish I’d shut up. :) As a friend, a family member and a doula, I have to learn the fine line between sharing knowledge and knowing when to back off and accept another person's decision, even if I believe it is the wrong one. 

I believe I'll get there. I've come a long way already.

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!