Microwave-free living

Why would anyone want to live without a microwave? My microwave is one thing I would never give up. How do you heat food up without a microwave? These are all things that I have actually asked over the past year. I know this information may only be useful to some of you if your microwave breaks and you are without one temporarily, but for some, maybe it will inspire you to say goodbye to technology's nutrient zapping oven forever. A wise friend of mine once said, "If I'm going to spend money on organic food, I'm definitely not going to compromise it in the microwave." It kind of annoyed me at the time, (sorry J) because I knew she was right. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I still have my microwave. It's in my utility room. It got put out there because my awesome daughter kept putting her stainless steel sippy cup in it and starting it. Not good at all. So, ours actually poses more of a danger to us than most. lol When we move though, it will not move with us. Our builder was shocked when we told him we didn't need a spot for the microwave in the kitchen. Pretty sure he labeled us crazy right then and there.

Although the jury is out on how microwaves affect your health and the nutritional content of the food, it seems easier to me to find another way than worry about the risks. We're told not to microwave breastmilk because it changes the nutritional content of it, so why would it not deplete nutrients in other food? Here is an article by Dr. Mercola that discusses the risks of microwave ovens if you'd like to read more about them, and here's one more.  Honestly, it's not like microwaved food tastes better. I don't know how my kids eat the chicken nuggets I occasionally warm up for them in there. They're like rubber. It doesn't save a ton of time. I really learned that you just have to be more proactive. Plan lunch 10-30 minutes earlier than normal depending on how long it's going to take to cook in the toaster oven or on the stove. Preparation is the same, you're just going to have to wait 7-10 minutes instead of 1 minute to eat that leftover bowl of soup.

What are the must haves for a microwave free house? A toaster oven, tea kettle and a clean pot to have sitting on the stove at all times. How do I heat up baby food? Or milk for a bottle? Just like in the old days, in a pot of hot water on the stove. Glass jars come in very handy. After I use the pot to warm up leftovers or other food, I immediately rinse it out with hot water and put it back on the stove for later. I use it probably 5-6 times a day. Baked potatoes? No idea. I have honestly only made potatoes in a microwave. I didn't know you could do it any other way. Thanks mom. :) Because of that, I resort to peeling and steaming sweet or new potatoes and then mashing them. I'm sure it's not difficult. Don't you just wrap them in foil and pop them in the oven? I'm serious, I didn't cook until about 2 years ago. Lots to learn over here. :)

After learning to live without a microwave and realizing how simple it really is, I think we're going to go ahead and sell ours. So, craigslist, be expecting a post soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!