Non-toxic deodorant alternatives

This past year Seth and I have discovered some GREAT deodorant alternatives. Most deodorants contain aluminum, plus other harsh ingredients that I sure as heck don't want to be applying to my freshly shaved underarm skin right next to some serious lymph nodes. Ingredients to avoid when searching for a safe deodorant...
  • Aluminum chlorohydrate, aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly or any aluminum compounds. 
  • Parabens (methyl, ethyl, propyl, benzyl and butyl)
  • Triclosan
  • Talc
  • Propylene glycol
  • Silica
  • Steareth-n
I stopped using conventional deodorant about 3 years ago and wasn't pleased with any of the stuff I found at health food stores. So I was thrilled when we stumbled on some very effective deodorants using products that we already had in our home.

Colloidal Silver - This is very effective. It is naturally antibacterial, so you can even apply it when you're  smelling funky and most of the time it will take the smell away since it's caused by bacteria. I buy my colloidal silver at Doorway to Health and apply it with a q-tip. It doesn't require much. A bottle usually lasts me 6 months. I really want to start making my own colloidal silver... Here's my blog post about using colloidal silver instead of antibiotics.

Coconut oil - I love coconut oil. It has so many uses. This is a staple in our home. Not only does it keep you from getting stinky, but it moisturizes and soothes your underarms. Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral. Pretty easy to apply, just rub it on. Sometimes I'll rub coconut oil on and apply baking soda afterwards for an extra boost.

Baking Soda - This is Seth's favorite. He recommends putting it on right after you shower. Put some in the palm of your hand and rub it under your arms and over your chest. Not my fave, but the men I know that use it, really like it.


Mineral Salts Stone -This one is my most recent discovery and most used right now. A friend bought it for me and I love it! It works great and will probably last me close to a year. You get it wet and apply it onto CLEAN armpits otherwise it won't work and it makes your mineral salt stone stinky. :-(

Try some of these out! They are so much safer and in my experience, so much more effective than the usual deodorants you buy at the store. Honestly, I am not one of those people, like my mom, who can walk around all day without deodorant on and smell just fine. It is a must have. It is such a relief to know that when I put one of these on, it is actually going to work throughout the day and not just for 30 minutes. Smell ya later! :)


Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!