1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7....8?


This week started off seemingly simple. The hubs and I sat down Sunday evening and made our first ever weekly meal plan and he went to the grocery store to buy supplies. Monday follows the schedule seamlessly. Our girls went to Kindergarten, our sibling set went to visits and I was in heaven with ONLY 3 kids for 7 hours. I spent the time reading my Bible, drinking coffee, journaling, doing 3 loads of dishes... I was feeling very productive when my cell phone rang at 7pm that evening, immediately followed by a text message and my home phone ringing. Yikes. Clearly, someone was trying to get a hold of me. It was, shockingly, the Dept. of Human Services. "Hi, I just got your name specifically from our regional director and we have a 3 year old little girl who we need to place. We know that you are at 7 already, but you have already been approved for one more by my boss. I have never been told to call someone specific before, so do you think that you are up for it?" Um. Okay. Obviously they have a list of "foster moms who can't say no," and I am numero uno on that list. I promised to call them back after I talked with my husband, because last month I took placement of two boys without asking and it did not go well. I completely left the decision up to him after confirming that she does sleep at night and she is potty trained. He gave me the go ahead and sweet Joy was dropped off at 8pm. And all of a sudden, we have 8.

My kids go to bed early and are usually asleep by 7pm. What a surprise it was to wake up in the morning with a new sister! Only at our house... and a few other friends I know. lol After the sleepless night we had, I was on the verge of calling and yelling at DHS, but that changed as soon as Maggie met Joy. I swear, it was like Maggie had been searching for Joy all her life and she found her. Hugs and kisses all around, I'm thinking the best Christmas gift for Maggie is going to be another foster sibling. She immediately took her under her wing and they have been best buds all week.

I took Joy to the doctor 2 days after we got her like I usually do with all my placements, to document any current issues and to get a baseline of where they are at health wise. She had a dog bite a week before and needed stitches out. While there, the doctor determined that the dog was never caught, so she would need to be vaccinated against rabies. Seriously? Of all the vaccines, rabies? This little girl has already been traumatized by a dog biting her and being in her second foster home in under a week and I have to get her painful rabies shots to her face. Not awesome, not what I signed up for. I prayed and prayed and had lots of wonderful prayer warrior friends pray. God gave me a peace that she is supposed to stay and that she will be okay.

So now, Joy, who also has a newborn sibling, will be with us indefinitely. We are still taking this one day at a time and seeking His will through it all. Who needs Big Brother when you're a foster parent? I am always expecting the unexpected. :)

"And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward." Matthew 10:42

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!