Where I shop and what I buy there

**Disclaimer - this was written over 3 years ago. I will try and do an update soon!

This is mostly a post for my fellow Okies. I have a lot of people ask me where I buy all my food, so this will be a list of the places I shop and what I buy there monthly. When I can afford it, I shop at the farmer's market at osu-okc as much as possible, but there are many times that's not an option for us. When it is, this is what I buy there:

OSU-OKC Farmer's Mkt - open all year long. 8am-1pm until November, then they move to winter hours, 10am-1pm.
  • Farm fresh, cage free, pastured eggs.
  • Plain greek yogurt to use in place of sour cream or to add honey and granola to. 
  • Butter made from grass fed cow's milk
  • Raw honey
  • Seasonal produce
  • Organic wheat berries to grind wheat flour
  • Pastured chicken, beef, lamb, pork
Once a month I go to Super Target on Penn and Memorial, this is what I normally buy there: (most of their organic food is very comparable in price to the conventional. Especially the archer farm brand.)
  • Organic produce (apples, celery, lettuce, potatoes, strawberries) 
  • Organic frozen blueberries
  • Organic butter by Archer Farms
  • Lots of organic Stonyfield vanilla yogurt
  • Organic Kraft Mac n' Cheese
  • Organic ketchup
  • Ian's or Earth's Best Chicken nuggets. They are made with organic chicken. 
  • Earth's Best organic mini waffles
  • Archer Farm's Organic tortilla chips & organic salsa
  • Archer Farm's Organic peanut butter
  • Newman's Own organic raisins
  • Archer Farm's PURE Maple Syrup (this is not pancake syrup made with corn syrup)
  • Archer Farm's organic coffee
  • Organic spaghetti sauce
Walmart - I know the Belle Isle location and the the one off Santa Fe and Danforth have these:
  • Harvestland chickens - I pay around $6 for a 4-5lb whole chicken. I know they have different cuts as well, but if you don't buy a whole chicken you can't make homemade broth and that is a huge staple at my house. Here are the company claims:

    • No hormones or steroids, no antibiotics ever  
    • Humanely raised, cage free
    • Vegetarian feed

  • They also have organic potatoes cheaper than Target. 
Braum's - The only thing I buy here is my beef when I run out of the 1/4 cow we buy once a year.
  • Premium Natural Beef, this is grass fed beef from Oklahoma farmers. Braum's labels it as "All Natural." Crest used to carry this, but they no longer do, regardless of what they say. I talked to the owner of PNB and they confirmed that no Crest stores were carrying it anymore.  
Buy 4 Less - NW Expressway and Portland (edited on 6/11/11) They just completely made over their store and are carrying lots and lots of organic items and I very rarely shop anywhere else now. 

  • 5lb bag of organic carrots for $4.50, awesome deal! I use these for juicing.
  • Organic apples
  • Kerrygold butter (grass-fed butter from cows in Ireland) 
  • Organic celery
  • Organic brown rice
  • Organic dry beans   
  • Gluten free cake mixes
  • Organic tomato juice for stew, chili.
  • Organic apple juice
  • Organic quinoa 
  • Organic black beans
  • Applegate farms organic hot dogs  
  • Organic pasta
  • Steel cut oats or organic oats for granola
Sam's Club
  • Cod
  • Seasoned wild Alaskan salmon
  • Kerrygold cheese (made from grass-fed cow's milk in Ireland)
  • Tillamook cheddar cheese (no rbgh or antibiotics) 
  • Whole pineapples, avocados, organic salad mix
Vitacost.com - I place 1-2 orders a month from here. Flat $5 shipping and most of their products are half price of what they are at the health food store.
http://www.localharvest.org/ is a GREAT resource to find meat, eggs, raw milk and produce near you. It is where we find our steers we buy. Here is a search I did for beef near the OKC area. 

We buy a lot of non-organic produce too, but only produce with a low pesticide level. Visit ewg.org for a list of the "clean 15" and "dirty dozen." http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

I hope this helps some of you out! If I left out anything, let me know, and I'll tell you where I normally get it or what I replace it with. 

Edited to add: I now buy my chicken through a local producer. See my post here for more info on these cheap, natural chickens. I have also started buying most of my organic produce from Azure Standard. See my post here for more info on that. 

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!