Maggie Magic? What I'm reading right now...


I tend to read multiple books at a time and have a hard time making it to the last chapter. This is the second time I've read this book and it is so helpful if I can just remember to use the techniques they give! The title is Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood. I started reading this AGAIN because of my sweet, high maintenance Maggie. Seth and I are concerned that if she continues on this path of defiance and extreme independence, the teenage years are going to be very hard to handle. The following are the four principles of Love and Logic: (p. 23)
  1.  Build the Self-Concept. Everything kids learn and do affects how they see themselves, which, in turn, determines what they choose to do with their lives. 
  2. Share the Control. Control is like love. The more we give away, the more we get in return. 
  3. Offer Empathy, Then Consequences. Empathy allows children to learn from their mistakes instead of learning to resent adults.
  4. Share the Thinking. Give your kids a lifelong gift. Every time they cause a problem or make a mistake, allow them to think more about the solution than you do. 
The book offers examples and techniques on how to accomplish all of the above with young children. I tried giving Maggie an insane amount of choices last night before bed and then like usual when I tried to leave, she resisted. I did what the book said and told her, "Mommy gave you lots of choices today. Now it's my turn to make one." I honestly didn't hear another peep out of her. Hopefully my brain will continue to function well enough to remember how I'm supposed to respond to certain things as opposed to warning and threatening, which I do for half of the day probably. Check this book out if you have discipline issues with your children under six, and if you don't, let me know your secret! :)  
I love this quote from the book,
"Successful people never fail, 
because they turn their failures into wisdom."

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye to Judah

38 Years Young

Judah is 2!!